Include bumat files after burnup calculation with div card

Questions and discussion about applications, input, output and general user topics

Include bumat files after burnup calculation with div card

Postby byba90 » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:29 pm

Dear users,

I want to use bumat files after a burnup calculation with different burnup zones. I used the div card for fuel material. In bumat files, I obtained the list with the following materials:

Code: Select all
mat fuelz1 7.07654398076121E-02 vol 5.18858E+00
mat fuelz2 7.08953705640416E-02 vol 5.18858E+00
mat fuelzn...

I would not use restart file, in order to be free to change bumat files for my purposes. If I include a bumat file in a criticality calculation, [fuelz1,...,fuelzn] are not read by Serpent and the calculation use the fuel material, set at the beginning of burnup. Is there a way to include directly the materials from bumat, without changing manually the geometry definition (material zone by material zone) in the input?

Thank you for your time.
Regards,

Christian
byba90

Re: Include bumat files after burnup calculation with div card

Postby Ville Valtavirta » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:15 pm

I don't think there is a good way to provide the compositions to the depletion zones manually.

Any approach would probably need to use the restart files as I think that is the only way to put different compositions to different depletion zones. Basically, you'll need to create a restart file that contains compositions for materials called fuelzN.

That said, I think the following approach might work:

1. Create an input with fuelzN manually defined as separate materials (they probably need all to be used in the geometry and be set to be burnable without depletion zone division). This input does not have to correspond to your real geometry model.
2. Create a restart file from that input (should then contain the correct compositions for materials named fuelzN).
3. Read the initial compositions from that restart file for the real geometry model with "div fuel" specified.

Another option is to create a script that will write binary restart files from arbitrary material compositions. For that approach you should probably see the beginning of writedepfile.c and the subroutine storecomposition.c to get an idea of the binary format (and maybe readrestartfile.c).

Re: Include bumat files after burnup calculation with div card

Postby byba90 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 2:34 pm

Ok, thank you Ville for your replay.
Regards,

Christian
byba90

Return to Users