ICSBEP Benchmarks

Share your results and discuss how Serpent compares to other neutron transport codes or experimental data

ICSBEP Benchmarks

Postby mathieu.hursin » Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:34 pm

Dear all,
I know that SERPENT is not designed to perform criticality calculation but has SERPENT ever be tested against the ICSBEP benchmark cases?
If so, are the SERPENT inputs publicly available somewhere? (I'd like to avoid reinventing the wheel :) ).

Let me know,

Best,

Mathieu
mathieu.hursin

Re: ICSBEP Benchmarks

Postby Jaakko Leppänen » Wed Jan 22, 2014 5:38 pm

We did some ICSBEP cases while validating the IFP method recently implemented in Serpent 2:

J. Leppänen, M. Aufiero, E. Fridman, R. Rachamin and S. van der Marck. "Calculation of effective point kinetics parameters in the Serpent 2 Monte Carlo code." Ann. Nucl. Energy, 65 (2014) 272-279.

The calculations were performed at HZDR.

There's also some criticality safety validation work on-going out at VTT (mainly VVER-configurations), and also at SEC NRS, Russia.
- Jaakko
Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Postby Ville Valtavirta » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:49 pm

Hi Mathieu,

I've been tasked to assemble a criticality safety validation package for Serpent at VTT. I don't have anything ready yet, but I've started building the geometry for the ZR-6/ZR-6M pool experiments for VVER-configurations. (THE VVER EXPERIMENTS: REGULAR AND PERTURBED HEXAGONAL LATTICES OF LOW-ENRICHED UO2 FUEL RODS IN LIGHT WATER, NEA/NSC/DOC/(95)03/IV Volume IV, LEU-COMP-THERM-015)

I'll make the results and inputs available here as soon as they are ready.

Cheers,

Postby mathieu.hursin » Thu Jan 23, 2014 12:09 pm

Ville, Jaakko,

Good to know. I will generate inputs for Flattop and ZPR6/10 ZPR 9/34 (benchmark version in ICSBEP).

If you are interested, I ll make them available to you (and whoever may be interested) then.

Thanks!

Mathieu
mathieu.hursin

Postby Jaakko Leppänen » Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:30 am

I think it would be a good idea to set up a repository for Serpent input files and benchmark cases. Let's revisit this topic once we have more inputs available.
- Jaakko
Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Postby hardtohit10 » Fri Feb 28, 2014 5:47 pm

LCT-064-CASE1
VVER-2.4% U235
Attachments
LCT064_1_not_a_zip.zip
(74.03 KiB) Downloaded 452 times
hardtohit10

Postby csk1026 » Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:11 pm

HMF-003 case01
REFLECTED ORALLOY SPHERICAL ASSEMBLY (24.5 / 2.0, critical mass(kg) / reflector thickness(in))
Attachments
HMF003-01.zip
(546 Bytes) Downloaded 422 times
csk1026

Postby jan.frybort » Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:10 pm

Dear all, I have just read info from ESSANUF WP7 Meeting Teleconference from 30th September 2016 that there is validation package of VVER benchmarks. Is it possible to obtain this package? Thank you.
Jan Frybort
jan.frybort

Postby Tuomas Viitanen » Thu Oct 06, 2016 10:11 am

Hi Jan!

A criticality safety validation package has indeed been developed at VTT. The package currently involves several validation cases for various light water reactor geometries from the ICSBEP, including some VVER cases. The script runs test cases automatically and prints out a criticality validation report. To my knowledge, the number of independent test cases in the package is currently insufficient for "official" criticality validation (for regulators, for instance), but it is in any case a good starting point. Development of the package is on-going, and hence the number of test cases is constantly increasing.

Previously, we have only distributed the package to Lappeenranta University of Technology with sort of an in-kind agreement: we are expecting contribution to the package in the form of new test cases. I think that the package could be distributed to you as well with a similar agreement, but I must check this first from my superiors.

If you are still interested in obtaining the package, let's continue discussions via e-mail.

Tuomas Viitanen
firstname.secondname@vtt.fi
Tuomas Viitanen

Return to Validation