User contributions to Serpent Manual

Questions, comments and complaints about the User's Manual

User contributions to Serpent Manual

Postby Jaakko Leppänen » Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 pm

As you may have noticed, I'm having great difficulties trying to keep the User's Manual up to date. There is simply too many things going on with the code with a higher priority, and the manual keeps getting neglected. So I thought it would be interesting to try to make the manual more into an "open source" project.

The idea is that I would make the Latex source available to the users, and anyone interested in participating could share their experience. As the code developer, I don't generally spend a lot of time working with any specific feature, and a user who needs to get familiar with the topic probably ends up with a better undestanding on how things work in practice and how they should be explained to other users. Also, I'm not native in English, and some parts done in a hurry could be better written.

If I find a few people interested in contributing, the next question is how to coordinate the effort to make sure that two people are not working with the same topic? Since I'm managing the distribution, I will also manage the master source, but the communication could be handled either via e-mail or via this forum. The first option would be more private, but is there really need for privacy? This php platform probably offers the capability to set up restricted access to specific topics, which could be a viable option.

Let me know what you think about this idea, and especially if you are interested in working with some particular part. Even small contributions, like grammar corrections and illustrative examples are welcome!
- Jaakko
Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Re: User contributions to Serpent Manual

Postby Ed Read » Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:56 am

Jaako,

I would be willing to help with the writing and organization of the manual. I can help with some of the develops that I'm working on, has well as helping with the whatever needs to be done.

I think that the best way to handle the manual project is to have a few people (no more than 4) who control of what goes in the manual. These people would be responsible for the following:
1. Know who is doing what.
2. Making sure that what is said in a the new document is not only grammatically correct, but that the physics is also correct.
3. In my personal opinion, I think that before anything can go into the manual that it come accompanied by both a theory and V&V document. This will help to ensure that we know the limits of what we are trying to do.

Has far as the managing of the project I think that the best way to go about is through e-mail.
Ed Read

Postby Andrei Fokau » Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:35 pm

Git software may be useful for version tracking/committing etc. http://git-scm.com
The manual sources can be publicly hosted at http://github.com, or one can set up a git server on a machine with restricted access.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4XpnKHJAok8
KTH Reactor Physics (Stockholm, Sweden) neutron.kth.se
Andrei Fokau

Postby billwangard » Fri Aug 28, 2015 12:14 am

Dear Jaakko,

It might be worth considering integrating documentation INTO the source code directly, and then using something like DOXYGEN to generate the document. Then, it is easier to release new documentation with new code releases.

Regards,
Bill Wangard
billwangard

Return to Manual