Material density multiplier in cell card

New ideas for code development

Material density multiplier in cell card

Postby Andrei Fokau » Fri Aug 27, 2010 1:46 pm

Jaakko,
Sometimes there is a need in a more convenient way to vary density in cells with the same material - one of the most common examples is a BWR fuel pin. Since materials may take quite a lot of memory resources (and input lines), it would be nice to change material density in a cell by using a coefficient, like in MCNP. However, in contrast to MCNP, this coefficient should be optional. A multiplier constant would be the best solution from my point of view. Such multiplier
1. would allow the user to change density in the whole array of cells by adjusting the original density in material card, and
2. would illustrate how big the difference between the original (in mat card) and the actual (in cell card) density is.

I believe the mutliplication can be easily implemented in the tracking routines, right?
KTH Reactor Physics (Stockholm, Sweden) neutron.kth.se
Andrei Fokau

Re: Material density multiplier in cell card

Postby Jaakko Leppänen » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:10 pm

Sound's good. However, the delta-tracking method basically allows also a continuous change in material density, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. So it might be a good idea to combine these features into something more general. How about a "density variation card", which would take material name as input parameter, together with cell and factor or function parameters, such as polynomial / trigonometric coefficients?
- Jaakko
Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Re: Material density multiplier in cell card

Postby Andrei Fokau » Fri Aug 27, 2010 2:15 pm

Jaakko Leppänen wrote:Sound's good. However, the delta-tracking method basically allows also a continuous change in material density, which is something I've wanted to do for a long time. So it might be a good idea to combine these features into something more general. How about a "density variation card", which would take material name as input parameter, together with cell and factor or function parameters, such as polynomial / trigonometric coefficients?

Jaakko, you rock! Just tell us when we will enjoy this :)
KTH Reactor Physics (Stockholm, Sweden) neutron.kth.se
Andrei Fokau

Return to Development