Fission Heating

Questions and discussion about applications, input, output and general user topics
kcogujiu
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 7

Fission Heating

Post by kcogujiu » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:47 pm

Hi,
I am currently running a calculation where I have to change the heating value of certain isotopes. I found that in the input manual for serpent, you can change the value of the heating value by using the command 'set fissh <ZAi> <H>'. However this is limited to isotopes with Z value > 90. Is there a way I can the heating value of other isotopes (eg Gd-155) in serpent?

Also, can I change the value for multiple isotopes with the 'set fissh <ZAi> <H>' command or does this give new outputs for each changed isotope?

Thanks and have a nice day.

Ana Jambrina

Re: Fission Heating

Post by Ana Jambrina » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:05 pm

The card syntax allows to modify multiple nuclides, see 'set fissh'. It admits nuclides: 90 < Z < 110 (actinides).
It refers to the energy deposited per fission which includes additional energy released in capture reactions when fission neutrons are absorbed. The nuclides have to include the reaction channels mt = 18 and/or mt = 19.
- Ana

kcogujiu

Post by kcogujiu » Wed May 05, 2021 6:34 pm

Thanks for the reply.
Now in the case of the nuclides whose Z < 90, is there any way I can specify the energy release due to capture reactions for these isotopes? I am especially interested in gadolinium and other neutron absorbers.

Ana Jambrina

Post by Ana Jambrina » Wed May 05, 2021 6:55 pm

You might want to check the new energy deposition modes, see ‘set edepmode’.
- Ana