Where to get KERMA data

Questions and discussion about applications, input, output and general user topics
keckler
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 43

Where to get KERMA data

Post by keckler » Wed Jun 26, 2019 12:53 am

Hello,

I am wanting to utilize the new energy deposition capabilities in v2.1.31 (set edepmode card). But I guess that Serpent doesn't come with the necessary KERMA coefficients that are needed to perform these calculation.

My first question -- will future releases of the code come with the necessary data?

My second question -- is it necessary to modify the current ACE files to include the KERMA data, or can I simply add a second ACE file for each isotope with the KERMA data alone? I am not very comfortable with using NJOY, and I would like to minimize doing anything complicated on that side of things. If I have to include the KERMA data within the existing ACE files, I imagine it will be quite cumbersome to regenerate all of the data that is already included in the current ACE files that I have.

Thanks for your help, as always!

Chris

Riku Tuominen
Security question 2: 93

Re: Where to get KERMA data

Post by Riku Tuominen » Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:18 pm

As an answer to your first question, the KERMA coefficients are basically special type of microscopic cross sections so they are closely connected to the cross section library that is used and they can not really be part of the Serpent release. Adding the additional data to the end of ACE files is not an optimal solution and this may change in the future if we figure out a better way to store the data. In the future we can also distribute cross section libraries that contain the additional data.

Concerning your second question, KERMA coefficients are not the only additional piece of data that is required to use the new energy deposition modes. Also MT458 data and some additional unresolved resonance range probability tables are read from the end of the ACE files.

At the moment, if you want to test the new energy deposition modes, you can download ENDF/B-VII.1 containing the additional data from here. You should note that this data has not been tested thoroughly and has only been used in some test calculations.

keckler

Post by keckler » Sat Jun 29, 2019 12:01 am

Thank you very much for the data! Using this, at least the simulation runs now with 'set edepmode 3'.

On a related note, when using energy deposition mode 3 in conjunction with a dr -80 detector, what are the four reaction bins that I get in the *_det.m file for that detector? The first one is clearly total energy, the third I think is total neutron energy, and the fourth is total gamma energy. But what is the second value? Is it local energy deposition?

Thanks!

Ville Valtavirta
Security question 2: 92

Post by Ville Valtavirta » Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi,

as far as I can tell, the bins are:
  1. Total energy deposition.
  2. Local fission energy deposition (excluding components transported away from fission site by tracked particles).
  3. Direct energy deposition by neutrons (e.g. due to scattering or capture).
  4. Direct energy deposition by photons.
keckler

Post by keckler » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:56 pm

Sounds good. As always, thanks for the reply.

damienBecat
Security question 2: 19

Post by damienBecat » Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 pm

Hello,

I would also like to test the new energy deposition capabilities but your link towards the ENDF/B-VII.1 library containing the additional data does not work anymore. Can you re-upload it ? Also is there a description somewhere on how to get and add the additional data to ACE files ?

Thanks for your help,
Damien

Riku Tuominen

Post by Riku Tuominen » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:35 am

Here is a new link that should work. At the moment there is no description/instructions how to add the additional data to ACE files. We have been using a script that adds the data when the ACE files are generated with NJOY. Adding the data to previously generated ACE files is a bit difficult since you have to run NJOY again and ensure that the additional KERMA data is consistent with the data that is already in the ACE files.

damienBecat

Post by damienBecat » Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:37 pm

Thank you, the link worked and the calculation with edepmode=3 too!

nico

Post by nico » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:26 am

Dear Riku,

could you please re-post an updated link for the ENDF-VII release with the KERMA coefficients? Unfortunately, it does not currently work anymore... As in the previous posts, I would like to test the new energy deposition capabilities and to compare Serpent results with our deterministic code that couples photon and neutron transport (as long as I can generate some photon cross sections with Serpent, but for this I posted in a separate topic).

Thank you so much for your kind support

Nicolo'

nicolas.martin

Post by nicolas.martin » Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:55 pm

Hello,
I would be really interested in trying out these new energy deposition models, and would need the library with the KERMA coefficients too.
Could you please re-post the above link (not working anymore)?
thanks and regards,
Nicolas