Looking for Serpent cross section directories

Questions and discussion about applications, input, output and general user topics
Joshua Guertler
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 7

Looking for Serpent cross section directories

Post by Joshua Guertler » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:40 am

I recently tried to run a molten salt input I found on Serpent 2.0 beta and received the following error:

Code: Select all

Unable to locate cross section directory file "endfb71_edep.xsdata"

Environment variable SERPENT_DATA is set to "/home/software/serpent/endfb70"
I'd imagine that this is due to how I don't believe that I have a directory by the name of endfb71_edep.xsdata in any of my Serpent folders. Upon further examination, I noticed that the original txt file I was using as my input had the following files used as the libraries:

Code: Select all

% --- Libraries:

set acelib "endfb71_edep.xsdata"
set declib "sss_endfb7.dec"
set nfylib "sss_endfb7.nfy"
Likewise, I was curious if these directories are something that exist as openly available files that I'd be able to get from RSICC or if these are directories that only exist in the computer of the original creator. Thank you.

Ana Jambrina

Re: Looking for Serpent cross section directories

Post by Ana Jambrina » Mon Dec 14, 2020 3:29 pm

Serpent 1.1.17 comes with a set of processed XS-data (see: http://montecarlo.vtt.fi/links.htm), however, other nuclear data - processed or raw (to be processed through software such NJOY) - is available through other projects (e.g. MCNP - SLA through RSICC) or databases (JEFF , ENDF, etc.).
The name given to the nuclear libraries is free, up to the user. Aside the name given to the XS-library files,
- Environment variables (see: setting_up_data_libraries) or absolute paths to the cross-section library files are needed (check XS-card syntax: e.g. ‘acelib’ - set acelib).
- ‘xsdata’ should point the absolute path where the ACE files are, for each of the nuclides included (to be set up when converting ‘xsdir’ -> ‘xsdata’ through ‘xsconvert.pl’).

Note: ‘endfb71_edep’ corresponds with the cross-section library distributed by Serpent developer team (upon request) based on ENDF/B-VII.1 including the necessary data to use the new energy deposition modes (ACE files include: KERMA coefficients, MT458 data, additional unresolved resonance range probability tables). For further info, see: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3187.
- Ana

mathieu.hursin

Post by mathieu.hursin » Mon Mar 08, 2021 5:35 pm

Dear Ana,

I would like to have access to the ENDF/B-VII.1 library (endfb71_edep). How should I proceed?

Let me know,

Thank you,

Mathieu

Ana Jambrina

Post by Ana Jambrina » Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:06 am

Download it from the link (still active) provided in the post: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=3187&start=20#p11639.
- Ana

mathieu.hursin

Post by mathieu.hursin » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:05 pm

Hello,

could you give a bit of information on how you have produced the thermal scattering libraries (njoy version, possibly an input). NJOY evolves quickly these days and it seems that some significant differences can be obtained.

FYI, generating my own Sab lib based on the ENDF/B-VII.1 endf files, I obtained ~ 100pcm difference for a pincell model compared to your library, while using NJOY-2012 patch 82....

Thank you,

Mathieu

Riku Tuominen
Security question 2: 93

Post by Riku Tuominen » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:01 am

If you are referring to the xs-data with the additional energy deposition data, I can provide the following information. Since the thermal scattering data did not need any modification for energy deposition calculations, I took the thermal scattering files from nowadays quite old beta cross section library for Serpent 2. These files were created by a colleague who is no longer working with us so I do not have specific information on the processing. To the best of my knowledge NJOY 99.364 was used. Nowadays, I would recommend using NJOY2016 or NJOY21 since they are the currently maintained versions.

mathieu.hursin

Post by mathieu.hursin » Wed Jun 02, 2021 1:54 pm

Dear Riku,
I m talking about the production of the thermal scattering part of the file lwtr_EDF71.ace in the package (endfb71_edep.tar.gz). I m not after the additional energy deposition data.
I went back in the Serpent-v1.1.7 documentation and found that indeed NJOY99.364 was used then....I just wanted confirmation that the same NJOY version / approach was used to produce the tsl (lwtr_EDF71.ace) of the ENDF/B-VII.1 library (is that what you call "quite old beta cross section library for Serpent 2").

Using NJOY2016 and NJOY2021 instead of NJOY99 might lead to fairly different results using the same initial ENDF information....

Thank you,

Mathieu

Riku Tuominen
Security question 2: 93

Post by Riku Tuominen » Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:09 pm

The thermal scattering data has not been taken from Serpent-v1.1.7 cross section data but instead from Serpent 2 "beta" cross section data that we used internally a while back. As I said in the previous post, I do not have specific information about the NJOY options used. You can of course create your own thermal scattering ace files with NJOY and use them.