Lattice calculations, Serpent vs. MCNP

Share your results and discuss how Serpent compares to other neutron transport codes or experimental data
Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Re: Lattice calculations, Serpent vs. MCNP

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:18 pm

Validation reports for version 1.1.18 were added to the website. The increased running time for the pin-cell cases results from changes in the boundary condition routine.
- Jaakko

ianyounker
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

Post by ianyounker » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:26 pm

I was working on a benchmark between mcnp and serpent. In serpent I have a problem very similar to your pwr single pin but without the depletion. When I used a finite square cylinder with periodic boundary conditions I get a smaller and less accurate multiplication value than when I use an infinite square cylinder with periodic boundary conditions. Do you have any idea or explanation for why this is occurring? Thanks

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Fri Jan 18, 2013 12:13 pm

How did you define the outer boundary in the finite case? If you truncate an sqc surface with two planes, you get periodic boundary conditions only in the radial directions. This would explain the lower k-eff, and you should also see a non-zero value in output variable TOT_LEAKRATE.

If you want periodic boundaries in all directions, you must define the outer boundary as a single cuboidal surface. Boundary conditions are a bit tricky in Serpent, especially in 3D geometries. I have tried to explain the conventions in Section 3.7 of the Serpent manual.
- Jaakko

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Tue Apr 02, 2013 7:48 pm

Validation reports for 1.1.19 are added.
- Jaakko