ReadAceFiles Error, 1.1.7, VM Ubuntu 12.04 based in win 7

Compiler issues (Intel compiler, mpicc, etc.), data libraries and everything needed to get Serpent running is discussed here
xixipang
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

ReadAceFiles Error, 1.1.7, VM Ubuntu 12.04 based in win 7

Post by xixipang » Mon Nov 04, 2013 3:24 pm

Hello everyone,

I have a problem actually "after" the compiling and installation, but now the program doesn't work, maybe it is a compiling and installation problem, so I would still put this issue in this section.

Platform: win7 with oracle VM, where I installed ubuntu 12.04.

Directory Tree:
/SERPENT
|- /Author_examples-1.1.7
|- /src
|- /xs (original is here "xsdata", but in the files it is "xs" everywhere, so I changed the name to /xs)
|- /xs/acedata/*.ace (all ace files)
|- /xs/*.xsdir, *.xsdata
|- serpent (after compiling I rename the file from sss to serpent and moved it from /src to here)

Situation: serpent successful compiled, after orders it can display version. Nuclear data successfully converted, *.xsdata is around 430kB and there are paths for nuclide and so on.

Then I tried to run an example from Author, e.g. bwr. I changed at first the library path in the bwr to .../SERPENT/xs/sss_jeff311u.xsdata (absolut path). After that under /serpent I used this:

Code: Select all

sudo ./serpent Author_examples-1.1.7/BWR/bwr -replay
And then from "Processing geometry" to "Calculating tsotope fractions" are all OK. Then comes "Reading data from ACE files", and comes with this error:

Code: Select all

Isotope 8016.06c (0-16)...
ReadAceFiles: Unable to open file acedata/8016JEF311.ace.
What I can imagine is that, if there are some permission issue? But I have already used sudo to run serpent. Or the program is not properly compiled?

Thank you very much!

xixipang

Re: ReadAceFiles Error, 1.1.7, VM Ubuntu 12.04 based in win 7

Post by xixipang » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:35 am

After this error I have three thoughts:

One is that these *.ace are located in the share folders between ubuntu and win, so the request to some certain files might be denied during the process of the serpent. For this I moved relative files to the directory only accessable in ubuntu, the properties show that normal user can access those files without administration permission. But the error is still there.

The other one is, at first I extracted zip in win, which might cause difference. So I extracted zip files again in ubuntu. But error is still there.

I also tried to install unace for the case that "can't open ace file". But still error is there.

If anyone could help me with that, I will appreciate a lot:)

xixipang

Post by xixipang » Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:49 pm

Thank you guys that nobody answered my questions, so that I can realize this might be a stupid question and figured it myself. The problem is I have to give absolut path everywhere in order to let program to find where something is. Conversion of nuclear database and also in the input files, everywhere. Because at conversion, a relative path does work, but in *.xsdata there will only be a relative path, which for program not enough to find database is.

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:04 pm

Yes, the path must be absolute for Serpent to know where to look for the cross sections. In some later updates I added the option to define the default search path in environment variable SERPENT_DATA. If that is set to point to the location of your cross sections, the data can be accessed with the file names only.
- Jaakko

xixipang

Post by xixipang » Mon Nov 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Great! That woulb be much more convenient! Thanks:)