Setting up path to XS data directory on a Mac

Compiler issues (Intel compiler, mpicc, etc.), data libraries and everything needed to get Serpent running is discussed here
fdeguillaume
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 19

Setting up path to XS data directory on a Mac

Post by fdeguillaume » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:23 pm

Hi there,

I successfully compiled and set up Serpent on a Mac.
However when running a example it fails on not finding the main XS Data directory with error message:

"Reading directory files...
ReadDirectoryFiles: ACE data file "/xs/sss_jeff311u.xsdata" does not exist."

From the documentation I thought that setting environment variables like this would solve this issue:

SERPENT_DATA="/Applications/Serpent/xsdata"
export SERPENT_DATA

knowing that I installed the main XS data files there and that I converted the *.xsdir files with xsdirconvert.pl .
Should I also change modes of these files to be executable?

Thanks for your help!

Best regards

Riku Tuominen
Security question 2: 93

Re: Setting up path to XS data directory on a Mac

Post by Riku Tuominen » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:10 am

Which Serpent version are you using? I'm asking this because the latest Serpent version prints a slightly different error message. Based on the error message it seems that Serpent is able to locate the cross section directory file but in that file the paths to ACE files are incorrect. How does your .xsdata look like? It should contains lines like the ones below which specify the nuclide, the path to ace file etc.

1001.00c 1001.00c 1 1001 0 1.007825 0 0 /home/rtrikuk/XSdata/xsss2-beta/data/1001EDF71.ace
H-1.00c 1001.00c 1 1001 0 1.007825 0 0 /home/rtrikuk/XSdata/xsss2-beta/data/1001EDF71.ace

fdeguillaume
Security question 2: 19

Post by fdeguillaume » Tue Jun 11, 2019 7:58 pm

Hi,

Actually I converted the .xsdir files correctly to .xsdata as you explained, and paths to the actual data atre as you explained - they are correct.
I just didn't know that the path to *.xsdata files had to be specified in the input file directly, not in an environment variable!

Now paths are correctly defined and everything works fine.
Thanks for your help!

Frederic

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:10 am

You can define the default acelib using environment variable "SERPENT_ACELIB". This way you don't need the "set acelib" card in the input.
- Jaakko