SERPENT 1.1.11 Install on Mac OS X v10.6.4

Compiler issues (Intel compiler, mpicc, etc.), data libraries and everything needed to get Serpent running is discussed here
jwashing

SERPENT 1.1.11 Install on Mac OS X v10.6.4

Post by jwashing » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:44 pm

I had some issues installing SERPENT on Snow Leopard and was requested to post my problems and solutions to help anyone else who might have similar troubles.

First off I had no problems in with the SERPENT install until I attempted to add the open GD libraries for plotting purposes. Initially the compile would output the following error after attempting the plotgeometry.c (and plotmesh.c if it gets that far):

Code: Select all

plotgeometry.c:#:#: error: gd.h: No such file or directory
I thought I might be able to fix the problem by adding the gd.h, then eventually gd_io.h and gdfx.h, to the source directory which produces the following error:

ld: library no found for -lgd
Collect2: Id returned 1 exit status
I had been attempting to link the library files through the use of the 'include' function. I was then directed towards a more appropriate solution, which is to build SERPENT using the environmental variables

LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/local/lib
and

C_INCLUDE_PATH=/opt/local/include
Where the files for the open GD library were split into the lib and include directories.

I suspect a standard install of the GD libraries would not cause this problem, but I do not know for certain since I do not have another computer configured that way to test.

Andrei Fokau
Security question 2: 0

Re: Serpent and MacPorts

Post by Andrei Fokau » Thu Jul 29, 2010 6:38 pm

This happens because the system doesn't know that it should look at those directories. Please, update your $PATH environmental variable

export PATH=$PATH:/opt/local/lib:/opt/local/include
The best way is to put this line in ~/.bash_profile, so that other programs will also find your MacProts libraries.

@Jaakko: This would be one more topic for Troubleshooting section. Users just do not know where to ask such questions, and since much more users will come here soon, it may be a good idea to get prepared ;)
KTH Reactor Physics (Stockholm, Sweden) neutron.kth.se