Suggest new ideas here
jesse.johns

Calculate Volumes of Cells

Post by jesse.johns » Mon Jul 20, 2015 6:19 pm

Hello,

An option to computer the cell volumes similar to Serpent 1's:

Code: Select all

-checkvolumes
would be excellent for verification of inputs and dimensions. This would also be helpful for printing out the interface volumes before had, too, for post-processing. I currently have a separate binary that I use where I modified printinterfaceoutput.c to do that for me. I notice there's a MATLAB output option, but that's pretty memory heavy for large problems - and I don't need it printed out with every run.

Thanks,

Jesse

Ville Valtavirta
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

Re: Calculate Volumes of Cells

Post by Ville Valtavirta » Tue Sep 01, 2015 4:04 pm

Hi Jesse,

do you mean specifically geometry cell volumes? Total material volumes should be already printed out by

Code: Select all

-checkvolumes <N_points> 
jesse.johns

Post by jesse.johns » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:44 pm

Hi Ville,

Yes, I specifically mean the cell volumes. It's easy enough to make many unique materials, then compute the material volumes - which then correspond to the cell volume. Since this is a process I do quite regularly, I figured it might be a useful suggestion. I often deal with pretty complex 3D geometries, so this helps with my verifications to ensure everything is built correctly. I had looked at the portion of code for computing the material volumes and there didn't seem to be an easy way out for me to modify it, hah.

Jesse

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:50 am

The reason I originally chose not to include the cell volumes is that there are many ways to build a geometry in such way that the actual cell names are not apparent to the user. Would it be enough if the volumes were printed for cells defined using actual cell cards?
- Jaakko

jesse.johns

Post by jesse.johns » Thu Sep 03, 2015 1:06 am

Ahh, right. Especially with region divisions.

That considered, I think it might not be as useful, generally, as I had thought. The material definitions do allow one the flexibility to essentially determined how the volume is computed.