Continuous Temperature Range

Suggest new ideas here
terryphi
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 64

Continuous Temperature Range

Post by terryphi » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:21 pm

Hello,

would it be possible to implement something so that I can specify a range of temperature cross sections (say .03c,.06c, and .09c) then use the tmp parameter in the material card to specify a temperature anywhere within this range?

This would be especially helpful in the multiphysics interface where I can have one volume with a range of temperatures across several cross sections.

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Re: Continuous Temperature Range

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:56 pm

The multi-physics interface is already based on the on-the-fly TMS temperature treatment routine that is capable of adjusting the temperatures over a continuous range. The code pre-broadens the cross sections to the lowest temperature and then uses the on-the-fly adjustment for the rest of the range.

I don't really see how this option would change anything?
- Jaakko

terryphi
Security question 2: 64

Post by terryphi » Tue Apr 04, 2017 4:41 pm

So wait a minute,

if I specify a material with say

mat XYZ -10 tmp 650
1001.03c -1.0

how does Serpent know to look in 1001.06c for the 600K cross sections?

Ville Valtavirta
Security question 2: 92

Post by Ville Valtavirta » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:11 am

Hi,

You can very well pre-broaden to 650 K from 300 K (.03c) using the tmp-card.

That said, if you want to set up a multi-physics interface that gives the temperatures for the material you should not use the tmp-cards. From http://serpent.vtt.fi/mediawiki/index.p ... structions:

"The Doppler preprocessor should be disabled for materials receiving their temperature distributions from an interface by removing any tmp <temperature> definitions from the material cards. Serpent can deduce the minimum and maximum temperature for the TMS-treatment directly from the interface files. If this interval is to be extended, it can be done by using the tft <TMIN> <TMAX> definition in the material card."