Shuffle option

This category replaces the missing input manual
Sasha
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

Shuffle option

Post by Sasha » Thu Aug 20, 2015 9:51 pm

Hello Jaakko,

Sorry, I have two questions regarding the shuffle option and modelling of control rods. I'm working on the modelling of a lead-cooled reactor using Serpent 2.1.24. I need to take into account extraction of control rod banks during burnup. I was thinking to create several lattices representing control rod banks at different state of extraction (for example, completely inserted, 30% in the core etc.). After a certain number of burnup steps, I wanted to replace one lattice by another one (for example, completely inserted would be replaced by 30% inserted) using the "shuffle" option, then this procedure is repeated until the complete exaction of control rods.
Questions:
1) Is there other technique that can be used for such type of problem?
2) When I am trying to use the "shuffle" option in Serpent 2.1.24, I am getting the following error: Invalid numerical entry "shuffle"

Code: Select all

set power 8.00E6
dep daystep
set power 8.00E6
dep daystep
shuffle 12 13 
I don't get such error in Serpent 1.1.19. Is the "shuffle" option available in Serpent 2.1.24? Is yes, could you please provide information regarding the syntax of this option?

Thank you very much in advance for your time!

Tuomas Viitanen
Security question 2: 0

Re: Shuffle option

Post by Tuomas Viitanen » Fri Aug 21, 2015 12:16 pm

Hi,

The shuffling option is only available in Serpent 1 and a similar capability is not available in Serpent 2.

However, fuel shuffling within a burnup calculation can be done also in Serpent 2 by using the restart feature, documented in

http://ttuki.vtt.fi/serpent/viewtopic.p ... cc37#p4960

Just prepare separate Serpent input files for each control rod configuration. Use the restart features to write the compositions in a file after the burnup calculation in one configuration is finished and to read the corresponding composition in the calculation for the next configuration.

I think this is a much more error proof way of changing the configuration within a burnup calculation than the way it was done in Serpent 1. The main downside in this approach is that Serpent needs to be run multiple times and, consequently, also the results are divided in multiple output files. However, this inconvenience can be quite easily dealt with by using scripts to run Serpent and to collect the results of interest.

Best regards,

Tuomas

Sasha
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

Re: Shuffle option

Post by Sasha » Fri Aug 21, 2015 8:34 pm

Hi Tuomas,

Thank you very much! I will try this option.

Sincerely,
Sasha.