Default library ID

Report all good and bad behavior here
Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Re: Default library ID

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:23 am

OK, so there are two things that need to be done.

1) When there are decay nuclides in the composition (i.e. nuclides without the library ID), the default ID and temperature must be set using the "fix" entry in the material card (I added a short description in Serpent wiki).

2) There is a bug that causes the error about duplicate nuclides when more than one material is defined this way. The problem can be fixed by adding line:

Code: Select all

WDB[nuc + NUCLIDE_XS_TEMP] = RDB[mat + MATERIAL_DEFAULT_TMP];
in processnuclides.c after line 467 (in Serpent 2.1.30).

Let me know if this fixes your problem.
- Jaakko

andrewryh
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 64

Post by andrewryh » Wed Oct 31, 2018 8:19 pm

Jaakko Leppänen wrote:OK, so there are two things that need to be done.

1) When there are decay nuclides in the composition (i.e. nuclides without the library ID), the default ID and temperature must be set using the "fix" entry in the material card (I added a short description in Serpent wiki).

2) There is a bug that causes the error about duplicate nuclides when more than one material is defined this way. The problem can be fixed by adding line:

Code: Select all

WDB[nuc + NUCLIDE_XS_TEMP] = RDB[mat + MATERIAL_DEFAULT_TMP];
in processnuclides.c after line 467 (in Serpent 2.1.30).

Let me know if this fixes your problem.
This does work! Thank you!

byba90
Security question 2: 92

Post by byba90 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:42 pm

Dear Jaakko,

thank you for your help. It works now!
Regards,

Christian

KairosP-FHR
Security question 2: 93

Post by KairosP-FHR » Wed Jun 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Hi Jaakko,

I tried the fix you suggested for Duplicate bug but I am still getting the same error. I am using a pre-burn inventory of nuclides (burnt fuel with fragments) from another run (.bumat) and use reprocessing (mflow along with dep) to slowly contaminate my coolant and burn at the same time over an extended time. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Fri Jul 05, 2019 9:30 am

This error is related to nuclide temperatures and library ID's. When Serpent loads the data for burnup calculation, it goes through the directory file (defined by "set xsdata") to find the isotopes in the transmutation and decay chains. The library ID and temperature are matched with those of the parent, and if the data is not found, it tries to find the correct isotope with a different ID and temperature.

The routine was really developed for the Serpent xsdata files, where all nuclides are available at all temperatures, so that this fallback option is never needed, but if you are using some MCNP data, for example, it is possible that the parent and daughter have different ID and temperatures (e.g. 70c and 42c). I imagine this could cause issues with the MSR burnup routine.

Could this explain the problem?

Also, are you using thermal scattering data or natural elements (e.g. 6000) in the materials involved with the mflows?
- Jaakko