Tallies not working when particle type specified

Separate section for discussion on gamma transport
keckler
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 43

Tallies not working when particle type specified

Post by keckler » Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:50 pm

I am running some calculations in the neutron/photon coupled mode and taking tallies of the power over a lattice. It seems that something is wrong with the way that tallies are working in this mode.

I am specifying a few different tallies, and some of them work, while others do not.

When in the standard neutron only calculation mode, all of my tallies work as they are supposed to. These are specified as follows, where the first two are power and flux in a particular material, and the third is power over a lattice:

Code: Select all

det PowerBatch1Axial1  dm Batch1Axial1 dr -8 void
det FluxBatch1Axial1  dm Batch1Axial1
det AssemblyPowerAxial1 dl 1 dr -8 void
When I turn on the neutron/photon coupled mode with "set ngamma 2", I change my tallies to specify what type of particles by adding in 1's to the third position of each tally specification.

Code: Select all

det PowerBatch1Axial1 1 dm Batch1Axial1 dr -8 void
det FluxBatch1Axial1 1 dm Batch1Axial1
det AssemblyPowerAxial1 1 dl 1 dr -8 void
When I run this, I get 0.00000E+00 printed for both the first or the third tally magnitudes. I would expect the results to be the same as when I ran the calculation before in just neutron mode.

If I then turn the neutron/photon coupled mode back off and run the calc with the tallies specified as is (i.e. I keep in the "1" to specify neutrons), I get the same incorrect results, with zeros for the first and third tallies.

None of my trials caused the tally magnitude for the second (flux) tally to be zero. For some reason only the tallies which have response functions seem to be impacted.

I have also tried to include tallies of photons with response functions, and got zeros for all of these.

It appears that something might be wrong with the routine which reads in the tallies. Or perhaps the routine that prints out the tally results.

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Re: Tallies not working when particle type specified

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:12 pm

The description in the wiki is wrong. Type 1 is actually photon and type 2 is neutron. I changed the description to say "n" or "p", which also works.

Do you still get zero results for dr -8 if you set particle type to "n"?
- Jaakko

keckler
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 43

Re: Tallies not working when particle type specified

Post by keckler » Wed Jul 05, 2017 7:32 pm

All of the tallies work correctly now with the new definitions.

Thanks for the quick and simple reply!