Evaluating XS at Different Temperatures

Discussion on physics, models and calculation methods
siefman
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

Evaluating XS at Different Temperatures

Post by siefman » Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 pm

Hello,

I'm hoping to use cross-section sets at temperatures other than 300, 600, 900K. MCNP provides a makxs tool to evaluate the XS and create new xsdir files so that you can reevaluate endf7b at 450K if you wanted to. I know that Serpent comes with the xsdirconvert.pl tool, which I think I can use with xsdir files made from the mkxs tools, but I'm having some problems. When I try to use the tool, it can't find the necessary ACE files. Is there a way to get around this? Will I need NJOY to make the ACE files? Or is there a better way to evaluate the cross sections at different temperatures that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks for any help,

Daniel Siefman

Tuomas Viitanen
Security question 2: 0

Re: Evaluating XS at Different Temperatures

Post by Tuomas Viitanen » Tue Nov 19, 2013 11:16 am

Hi,

The xsdirconvert.pl script reads the path for the ACE data files from the first line of the xsdir file, which should look something like this:

Code: Select all

datapath=/home/tuomas/xsdata/acedata/
If the datapath is not correctly set in the xsdir file, the script is unable to find the ACE files. Your problem with the script might be related to this.

There is, however, an easier way to adjust the temperatures of cross sections in Serpent, namely using the Doppler pre-processor. Read Section 4.3 in the Serpent Manual for more information.

Tuomas

dsiefman
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

Re: Evaluating XS at Different Temperatures

Post by dsiefman » Tue Nov 19, 2013 12:10 pm

Perfect. I'm sorry for not looking more closely in the manual.

Thank you very much!