Heating model and burnup definition upgrade ?

Discussion on physics, models and calculation methods
MartinJean
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 93

Heating model and burnup definition upgrade ?

Post by MartinJean » Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Hello,

I wanted to know if the energy model 2 & 3 presented in the 8th serpent user group meeting in may 2018 (presentation called : "New energy deposition treatment in Serpent 2) was implemented in SERPENT V2 or if any beta version was available upon request.
I was interested in taking correctly into account the energy release by capture in non fissile material for depletion. Currently, I have modified my deterministic code to mimic the model 1 of SERPENT.

Thanks for your support!

Martin

PS: I wrote this initial post in another topic and it was maybe not appropriate . I can suppress it if needed.

Riku Tuominen
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 93

Re: Heating model and burnup definition upgrade ?

Post by Riku Tuominen » Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:54 pm

Hi Martin,

the new energy deposition models are not included in the latest official version of Serpent 2 and their development is still somewhat work in progress. The new modes need some further testing and they have not been used in burnup calculations. However, I can provide you a beta version, if you want to test them. The difficulty with the new modes is the fact that they need additional data that is not available in the standard ACE format files. Currently, the additional data is added to the end of ACE files when the files are generated with NJOY. Therefore, in order to be able to use the new modes you need a cross section library with the additional data. I can provide you the cross section files that I generated for testing the new methods. The new cross sections would also require some further testing. If you want to test the new modes, let me know so I can set you up with our file sharing service.

Riku