running photon transport calculation for multiple BU steps

Discussion on physics, models and calculation methods
Rashed
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 7

running photon transport calculation for multiple BU steps

Post by Rashed » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:29 am

Hello,

I'm doing photon transport calculation and I use set rfr idx "BU step" to refer to the desired step. I tried making multiple input files for each BU step and then I made one file that utilize include function for running all input files at once but it didn't work.

Any one has an idea about how to do this?

Thanks

Ana Jambrina
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 7

Re: running photon transport calculation for multiple BU steps

Post by Ana Jambrina » Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:58 pm

Serpent does only reads one ‘set rfr’ entry, which means reading a single restart file.

In the case of photon transport, it might be a way around: reading several restart files like they were coming from a previous burnup calculation using the domain decomposition feature ('NFILE' option of 'rfr' card) - option available in Serpent 2.1.32.

Since Serpent reads a single entry, you would not define multiple burnup/days steps. Instead, you would work with the burnup index. All restart files that you are going to read need to point at the same burnup index. To do that, you can split the depletion calculation in such a way, e.g., each of the burnup steps you are going to read later would correspond with the beginning of a new (restarted) depletion calculation.

The restart file should be named following the domain decomposition syntax: input.wrk_dd[ i ] for i = 0,1,…

This way, the ‘rfr’ card should look like this: set rfr idx 1 “input.wrk” 3 (assuming that there are three restart files).
- Ana