Libraries

Separate section for discussion on gamma transport
orca.blu

Libraries

Post by orca.blu » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm

Hi

Stupid question: can I find processed gamma libraries somewhere?

If it is not the case, what should I ask for to our NEA liaison officer?

By the way, same question for 0 K neutron libraries.

Thank you!

Manu
Manuele Aufiero
LPSC/IN2P3/CNRS Grenoble

Tuomas Viitanen
Security question 2: 0

Re: Libraries

Post by Tuomas Viitanen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:06 pm

Hi,

With a little Googling I found this package containing gamma libraries in ACE format from the OECD/NEA Databank:

http://www.oecd-nea.org/tools/abstract/detail/nea-1837

Another source for ACE gamma libraries is the MCNP distribution package (if you have the licence) and, of course, you can process the cross sections yourself using NJOY.

Instead, I could not find any neutron cross sections processed to 0K from the NEA Databank at least with a little searching. It seems that all of the cross sections are tabulated for temperatures higher than or equal to the room temperature. I'm not very familiar with all the ACE cross section packages available in the NEA Databank so correct me if some package exists. Also the 0 K neutron cross sections can be rather straightforwardly processed using NJOY, at least if you are familiar with the program.

We are planning to distribute both the gamma and the 0 K neutron libraries with the Serpent 2 distribution package, so this problem will be solved at some point (perhaps before the next Serpent meeting?).

Tuomas

orca.blu

Post by orca.blu » Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:47 pm

Tuomas,
thank you very much!
Manuele Aufiero
LPSC/IN2P3/CNRS Grenoble

Tuomas Viitanen

Post by Tuomas Viitanen » Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:05 pm

Just a little clarification to my previous post: Any official "distribution package" won't be prepared before the next Serpent User Group Meeting, but it is possible that a new preliminary ACE library for Serpent 2 will be available at that meeting for beta testers. Since the ACE package will be huge and it can't be made publicly available, the only option for distribution is portable media.

Tuomas

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Thu Jun 25, 2015 4:43 pm

The additional physics data required for photon transport simulations (version 2.1.24 on) is available at: http://montecarlo.vtt.fi/download/photon_data.zip
- Jaakko

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Mon Jun 08, 2020 7:15 pm

The mcplib84 and mcplib64 photon libraries generated for MCNP can be downloaded at this LANL website describing old bug fixes to MCNP5:

https://mcnp.lanl.gov/BUGS/BUGS.shtml

The data is found under date 2012-01-06. I believe these are the same photon cross section libraries as distributed with MCNP6.
- Jaakko