non-commercial license

Questions about NEA and RSICC distributions, bilateral agreements, licenses, etc.
clumma
Security question 1: No
Security question 2: 92

non-commercial license

Post by clumma » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:02 pm

RSICC asked me to sign a license that forbids commercial use of Serpent. I am wondering how to interpret this. May I not use Serpent if I am working for a corporation? If I get results with Serpent when I am a student, may I refer to them later, when I am employed? etc. Has anything been written on the interpretation of this license?

Thanks,

-Carl

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Re: non-commercial license

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Thu Jul 23, 2015 1:03 pm

Commercial use is related to the type the work, not the type of the organization, and there are several commercial companies using Serpent for non-commercial research. We don't have a strict definition on what constitutes as commercial work, but I guess it basically includes any work that leads to an outcome with commercial value for your organization.

Referring to previous work carried out as a student shouldn't be a problem.
- Jaakko

clumma

Post by clumma » Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:13 pm

That helps, thanks.

Hypothetically, if a company *did* want to use Serpent to resolve a question of commercial value, is there a licensing pathway for them? Maybe some companies have negotiated it in the past?

(On a side note - you are probably sick of hearing it - but I think it would be fantastic if Serpent could be licensed under a permissive open license. Until recently I thought this was impossible for nuclear codes, but OpenMC has proven it is possible, at least in the U.S...)

-Carl

Jaakko Leppänen
Site Admin
Security question 2: 0

Post by Jaakko Leppänen » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:18 pm

A commercial license for Serpent is in preparation, and I will discuss this issue with our legal department after the Summer holidays.

Unfortunately a completely open license similar to OpenMC is not an option for VTT, even though all export control issues etc. could be resolved.
- Jaakko

clumma

Post by clumma » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:54 pm

In that case, let me just say that I hope the commercial license is not too expensive (or can be priced proportionally). Some nuclear companies are very small. :)

-Carl